Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Need to Know

Daughter Dawn shared the following experiences with me via e-mail.  With her permission I'm posting her comments here for you to enjoy and, hopefully, laugh at. 

From what occurred this past Sunday:

Well, Sophia gave me something else to think about tonight....  She insisted that she wanted to know how a baby gets into your belly.

REALLY?  I struggled and procrastinated for an hour or so, talked about it being a special thing between a mommy and a daddy, said I’d find something on the computer, then she wanted to see a video of it!!!

CRAP!  I talked about the sperm and the egg.  She said I was making that up, so I showed her the video of that….  She said, “This is boring. I want to see how it gets in there, not this!”  Sigh.

OK, I decided to bite the bullet.  I told her that I couldn’t believe that she is only 7 and I am discussing this with her….another sigh. “Alright, this is what happens.  A husband and wife hug and kiss..."

"YUCK!!!!  Don’t tell me any more. I don’t think I want to hear any more!" as she covered her ears and closed her eyes.

Smile.

And this today:


This morning while Sophia was on the toilet, “Mom, where does the fisheye (sperm) come from?

“Oh my gosh, Sophia, I really can’t believe you are 7 and want to know these things.”

“I know,” she said.  “So where do they come from?” 

“They come from the daddy and go into the mommy and find the egg. The first one to get inside the egg wins and gets to make the baby.”

She smiled “Oooohhhhh, that’s fun.  It’s like a race!"

With a sigh of relief, I turned to walk away, and there stood Brandon (age 10) with his thumb up and a wink, and he said to me under his breath, “That was a good answer, Mom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment